Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Unannounced Hiatus

I've been.... re-evaluating. I'd love to say its done and I have some grand conclusions, but I don't.

Working a 9-5 job is great. I have good benefits (5 wks vacation!), decent pay (no comment), great hours (literally 9-5, including lunch). It's the first time in my life I'm not worried about making ends meet and paying the bills. I even like the work and the people. In all honesty, it's exactly what I asked God for a year ago.

But with our first warm day outside, I want the freedom to go out and read a book for an hour. Or bring Selah (my dog) to the office. I miss teaching, preparing for and standing in front of a class. I miss having the right to tutor (my visa doesn't allow it) and watching individual students growing long-term.

Most of my re-evaluating has been related to finances and those now very limited free hours each day. This is where this blog comes in. Writing even a short article takes up to an hour. But the things I want to write are more in-depth. I need more coming in than going out - read more books, listen to more ideas, follow other blogs... I'd say I need at least an hour a day of bring these things in. Then, there's the processing. Time for reflection and prayer. Time to integrate it all. Only then am I prepared to write.

On the one hand, I thought blogging daily would motivate me to keep up on the intake and processing. It does. Except that I just honestly don't have time for all of that at the level I want to do it. Because, you see, there's also learning korean, involvement in various ministries... and just balancing my sanity and need for down time (especially while living in another culture and working  full-time).

So, no grand announcements. Just letting you know I'll be around, but I'm not sure how much. I'm also leaning towards keeping this academic for my own sake - I don't want to get rusty. I'll let you know if I do come to any vital decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment