Monday, June 20, 2011

Level Tests


Today was all about level tests. These are tests given to students to determine how much they know of a language. As a teacher, I can determine how much they know based on a short conversation. Also, as a teacher, I remind the students to relax - it's not a major test, just a way for us to sort the students into similar groups. We had to level test our students for the summer program.

But I had a few students sweating bullets. I'm sure they knew much more English than they spoke, but they were so nervous they could barely complete sentences.

Me too. Because today I also took a level test - for Korean.

Yes, I'm finally starting Korean classes. I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but I was waiting until I had the time to focus and the money to pay for it. So I signed up. I should start at Level 2, I'm sure. But when it came to the interview, I couldn't speak a word in Korean. I could understand the questions, but whatever vocabulary I knew was gone. I could basically only stutter a "yes" or "no"... or I'd switch to English. Which is pretty much what I do in real daily life, except that I can usually get a few more Korean words out.

Anyway, she wanted to put me in level 1, where I'd be studying the alphabet. I asked her to bump me up - promised I'd be focused since this is all I'm doing this summer (except for the classes I'm teaching the next few weeks). Truth is, I'm a good student. I'm sure that if she puts me in level 2, I'll be the top student...

So here's what I'm thinking: I have a lot more sympathy for my students. It's the mix of shame and confusion. It's also dread and hope. And yeah, nerves are a big part of this.

So there it is. I'm finally starting Korean. It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment