Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A City of Books

Not having work for the month, I find it important to fill my schedule. Today, I had plans for most of the day. Until everyone called to cancel in the first hour of the day. I sat down to breakfast wondering what I should do with the day. And knowing I was likely to waste it without some sort of plan.

Then I knew: Paju Book City.  It's a small town not far from Seoul where all the publishers are located. They have unique buildings that line up along a river - looking very much like books on a shelf. I went, took photos, and drove around the buildings. Maybe I wasn't as "spiritual" as if I had stayed home... but neither was I wasting time.

Relaxing in a publishing town is rather symbolic for me. I love to read - to the point of distraction. There's a very fine line when a "good thing" becomes "too much of a good thing". Reading a book - excellent. Reading while at a social event - rude. And yet, that's what I want to do. When I'm interested in a book (and the genre doesn't matter in the least), I tune out the rest of my life until I finish it.

On the other hand, in moderation, a book is an excellent way to relax. Reading enlarges the mind and introduces new ideas. At the very least, fiction stimulates the imagination. So, I will read, but occasionally I have to drag myself away from the books. And I will wander around a publishing town, but eventually I have to head back to the big city.

I'm glad I got out of the house today - winter will be over soon and I should freeze while I have the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment