Thursday, February 24, 2011

Working in Korea 1: Why?

Okay, this seems totally unrelated to my regular blog. But people sometimes ask me about this and I decided it was time to write something up that I can refer them to. I'll work on this in series, since it's a lot of information.

Before you start asking about where to work or how to find a good job, you need to ask some foundational questions. Today, I'll write about the first question.

What's your purpose in Korea? Why would you relocate to a foreign country? Why Korea?

There's no right answer here. But having a sense of purpose will guide your choices after this. Here are some common reasons:

  • Financial - "I want to make money. I hear Korea's the best place to do it." Maybe it's student loans, or not finding a decent job back home. That's fine. I'm not going to knock you for this at all. Just be honest if this is your reason.
  • Travel - "I want to see the world." No problem, you can see Asia from here. If you have enough vacation time. And if you make friends who want to travel with you. 
  • Experience - "I've just finished college and want to try something different before grad school / working life." No problem. It'll be different alright. It could be the best - or worst - experience of your life. 
  • Korean culture - You're in to K-pop. Or Korean dramas. You think Korean guys are kinda cute or the girls are easy. Good luck with that...
  • Korean language - I do NOT put this under culture, where it should go. If you want to learn Korean - maybe you're Korean by heritage and are embarrassed when Grandma visits, or maybe you've caught "Korean fever" - Korea's the place to do it. But keep in mind that you WON'T learn it just by being here.
Alright, you might even have different answers. That's fine, I'm not saying any of them are right or wrong. Just be honest with yourself. And be clear. Be very, very clear on why you want to work in Korea. And write that down - because sometimes, that'll be the only thing that will get you through the day. 

Besides, if you can't answer this question, you're definitely not ready to make such a  big life decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment