Thursday, May 6, 2010

Suspending the Critic

I fired my critic a few weeks ago. She was driving me crazy! Everything I did, or everything I heard, she was picking out the faults. Of course, she was generally right. And I have to give her credit - she didn't nitpick. She usually reserved her critiques for the important things, and only pointed out one or two major flaws. She especially liked finding the flaws with logic or theology.

But a few weeks ago, she was hovering over one book I was trying to read. She wasn't saying anything, just hovering with that watchful eye in a fairly restrained manner. But still, hovering. I could sense her breathing down my neck, waiting to find a major flaw in the writing, the ideas presented, or the author's perspective.

So I fired her. I told her to get lost and never find her way back. I told her that I appreciate her caution, and that she is well-trained with a good eye and discipline. But I also told her I won't be needing her services at the moment.

The amazing thing? She left. Instantly. Didn't return stealthily or whisper negative thoughts in my ear. I haven't heard a word from her. I know that if I ever need her, she'll return at a moment's notice. And she may even creep back when I'm tired or otherwise irritable. But for now...

The spirit of criticism left.

No comments:

Post a Comment