Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why aren't you?

How do you change your behavior? How do you change a whole group's behavior?  There are things you do that you shouldn't, and things you should be, but you don't. The problem is, most people start by asking the wrong questions.

I should eat healthier. Why? What are the benefits? Why is it important? Why should I?

That's the wrong question. You already know you should. Here's the right one:

Why aren't you?

Find out what's stopping you from doing what you should be doing, and take away the barriers. Like this:

I'm not eating healthier because I'm too busy to really care. Because I like the taste of junk food. Because I need my extra-calorie-laden mocha every morning. Because I really don't know how to eat healthier. Because my body's addicted to sugar or salt or fat and I don't even know it. Because I don't know how to cook. I don't like to cook. I don't like vegetables. I'm a meat-and-potato kind of person.

If you really dig down, you might be surprised what's really stopping you from doing what you should.

You should fire the unproductive employee. You should finish that project on time. You should stop smoking. You should spend more time with your kids.

So why aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment