Monday, January 4, 2010

Preaching by the Spirit

A recent Sunday was an unusual day at my church. The head pastor was not planning on preaching, which alone was rare. However, Sunday morning the head pastor walked onto the stage trembling.

He said he didn't want to be there. He said he had a message and he was certain it was God's word to us, but he didn't want to preach it. The message prepared by the assistant pastor was put on hold, and the head pastor spoke. He didn't look up the entire time, stating, "I'm afraid to look at you. I'll cry and not be able to continue."

The message was filled with tenderness and conviction. I heard many say afterwards that it was powerful, that it was moving. Most cried.

I could write a lengthy analysis of the words he spoke. Or I could give a theological discourse on the need to balance preparation and flexibility. I could exhort us all to be so sensitive and obedient to the Spirit.

Instead, I simply say, "Amen!" (And maybe I'd throw in a "Preach it, Brother!")

No comments:

Post a Comment