Saturday, January 2, 2010

Who are we talking to?

Prayer is a humbling experience. My pastors' daughter was born 2 months early. The whole church is being called upon to pray for her. Her life hangs in the balance...

Sometimes, I hear about a situation like this and I put it on my "Thing to Pray For" List. I send a quick prayer as I hear of the need and might even get around to it with more intensity later on. I imagine many people feel like that - moved with compassion, sending small prayers up to heaven.

But this time, I feel moved to pray fervently. I've always found it difficult to pray earnestly when I don't know the people, or the details of the situation. It's like I have no foot hold to begin my prayers. Still, this time I feel called to pray deeply and passionately for her.

So I did. I prayed deeply and passionately for her one evening for about 10 minutes. I felt pretty good about it. I had some real passion and conviction going for a few minutes.

The next night, I felt moved to pray again. So I did again. I think I even made it to 30 minutes and some tears this time. In fact, I think I almost expected a Facebook update saying she was recovering and ready to go home.

Needless to say, there was no Facebook update. A premature baby with serious complications isn't being sent home today.

But she is alive. Still breathing. Still struggling. Healing from her ninth surgery this week. She's alive. And that's all the miracle for the moment.

So if she lives, who can claim the victory? If she takes her first step or graduates from college, who's responsible? The doctors, with their surgeries? The Church, seeing a miracle? Little Emma for being a fighter? Or the prayer warriors? The ones fasting and crying out for this tiny child's precious life?

No. The responsibility and honor is all God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment