Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Value of Bad Theology

A few days ago, I was talking to a friend about his experience starting seminary this year. He's been a worship leader for quite a while now, and commented on how seminary is changing his perception of worship songs.

I knew precisely what he was talking about. Seminary teaches you to think more critically about your faith, the church, Scripture, God, and especially what we teach about God and our relationship to him. It's a good thing - it's precisely the way church leaders need to start thinking about things.

Then, if you start looking at the songs we see in church, there seems to be a lot lacking. Some songs focus too much on the individual worshiper, while others seem to imply that God needs us / we're helping him. My friend noted one thing that bothered him that a worship leader said:

"Alright, everyone! Let's worship! You know, God said that where two or three are gathered, there he is with us. Here we are, we're gathered, so God is here with us!"


Why would this bother my friend? Simple, the verse is talking about discipline within the church, not worship or prayer as is often mis-quoted. If you want to understand this better, check out an old blog I found. I don't know the writer, but I know he's dead on with this post about Matt. 18:20.

As my friend and I lamented the proliferation of bad theology, we suddenly commented simultaneous: But we've done it in the past. We've been the people who say those things and, honestly, we'll probably do it again. And again.

In the end, we're never going to get it completely right. And even those things we know, we'll sometimes get those wrong too. So we need to have grace for others, while not lessening the value of seeking the truth.

Finally, my professor, Dr. Marianne Meye Thompson, who has an amazing way of encapsulating the truth, reminded us, "People are saved by bad theology every day." She also reminded us we were all heretics, but I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment